1 1
1

home |

1

about us |

1

contact us |

1

salvation |

1

ministries |

1

prayer request |

1

1
1 1 1 1
1 1

Bible Search
Online Resource Highlight
            Heartlight's
   Search God's Word©
is an excellent resource to do your online bible study!

main image 1 1
1 1 1 1 1 1
1  


Visitors Are Welcome!

Hours of Worship 1

If you are new to Second Baptist here are some resources that may help you.

- Welcome from Pastor
- Directions
- What We Believe
- Church Covenant
- Our History
- Our Purpose
- Events
- FAQs

Featured Links

  1

Our History

Second Baptist Church 1824 to Present

Second Baptist Church is the oldest Black Baptist Church in Columbus, Ohio.  Second Baptist is the Mother Church of ten Baptist churches:  Russell Street Baptist, Hildreth, Memorial Tenth Avenue, Shiloh, Union Grove, Bethany, Oakley, Good Shepherd, Greater Love.  However, three of these churches no longer exist under the name initially established.  Additionally, there are three new names Pilgrim, Union and Beulah.

In 1847, as the United States suffered under the burning issue of slavery, Second Baptist’s Pastor, James P. Poindexter, became an articulate and enthusiastic voice against slavery within our community.  Second Baptist continues to meet the needs of the church congregation and community as it continues to spread the gospel and serve the Columbus area.  

A brief historical biography and list of spiritual leaders of Second Baptist Church follows:

1824 -

The Baptist Church (later known as First Baptist Church) was chartered with seven members, three of whom were of African-American descent.

1834 -

Request was made to the Baptist Church to be set aside as a colored mission church by sixteen (16) black members.

1836 -

The independent request was honored and Rev. Ezekiel Fields was called to be the first Pastor.  First Baptist formally recognized the Colored Baptist Church as Second Baptist Church.  The first meeting place was 69 Mulberry Street.

1844 -

The State of Ohio granted a charter and Second Baptist Church (SBC) broke ground for a new brick church at 105-115 East Gay Street.

1847 -

A friendly split of the Church by intense abolitionists, who formed the Anti-Slavery Baptist Church, occurred.  These members were more militant and active in the Underground Railroad.

1851 -

Second Baptist Church incorporated by an Act of the General Assembly.

1858 -

The Rev. James Preston Poindexter was called as the Pastor of Second Baptist Church.  The Anti-Slavery Baptist Church was invited to reunite with Second Baptist.  The two congregations merged.

1865 -

The Church’s elementary school closed and all pupils enrolled in Columbus Public Schools.

1881 -

Rev. James P. Poindexter and Rev. Washington Gladdon of the First Congregational Church entered into a desegregation suit against Columbus Public Schools.

1882 -

Rev. Poindexter was elected to the school board.

1907 -

The Rev. Henry H. Mitchell and the Second Baptist Congregation celebrated the ground breaking for a new church located 186 North 17th Street.

1936 -

The Rev. Charles Frank Jenkins begins his thirty-five (35) year ministry at Second Baptist Church.  The church’s membership tripled during this time.

1951 -

Construction of first addition began.

1960’s -

Poindexter Village was named after Rev. James P. Poindexter of Second Baptist.  The Senior Citizen complex at 1100 E. Broad Street is called Jenkins Tower, after Rev. C. F. Jenkins.

1971 -

The Rev. Harold E. Pinkston was called to serve as Pastor.  In 1975, Pinkston left Second Baptist to form Good Shepherd Baptist Church.

1976 -

The Rev. Leon L. Troy, Sr. begins his twenty (20) year ministry at Second Baptist Church.  The Church’s membership grew from 250 to over 1200.  New ministries such as the Deaconess Board, Operation: Potato, Operation: Shoe Leather, Summer Camp, and Student Ministry (college students) were established.  A new parking lot was built, new vans purchased, and the Sanctuary was air-conditioned.

1984 -

The Second Baptist Church Housing Association, Inc. was authorized by the Church membership.

1986 -

The SBC Housing Association dedicates the senior housing building as Chandler Arms. This Senior Citizen housing at 350 Gould is named after Mr. Everett Chandler.

1990 -

On April 29, Rev. Troy and the SBC Congregation dedicates the new church annex which contains new Pastor and ministerial offices, secretary’s office, classrooms, children’s church and nursery, choir room, elevator, women’s lounge and car ramp.

1996 -

Second Baptist ordains its first female minister, Rev. Yvette W. Hensley.  On August 31, The Rev. Leon L. Troy, Sr. retires as Pastor.

1999 -

In February 1999, Rev. David S. Carter is installed as Pastor of Second Baptist Church.

2000 -

Second Baptist church sanctuary is renovated with a new design, a center isle.  The church vision and purpose is presented to the church family.

2004 -

Pastor David S. Carter leaves Second Baptist Church.

Second Baptist Church Housing Association dedicates new wing of Senior Housing Complex. The new building is Chandler Arms II – Eldon Ward Wing. This building is located at 285 N. Gould Rd.

Rev. Leon L. Troy, Pastor Emeritus returns to serve as Spiritual Overseer in the absence of a Pastor.

2006 - Present

Rev. Howard T. Washington installed as Pastor of Second Baptist Church.

< Back to Top >
1 1 1 1 1 1
1 1 1 1 1 1
1 1   home | about us | contact us | salvation | ministries | prayer request 1 1